Cloud Computing - Discover its Power with UC Berkeley Extension on 26th & 27th Oct
Hear from UC Berkeley's expert on Virtualization / Cloud Computing and Unix kernel who helped to launch successful Silicon Valley startups
- Understand the historical, technical and business model evaluation leading up to modern Cloud Computing
- Compare and contrast Cloud Computing's business model & benefits with those of traditional client/server
- Understand why and how Virtualization is the foundation upon which Cloud Computing is based
- Comprehend fundamentals of virtual machines from a management perspective
- Understand by exploration the various key features of a virtual machine from a management perspective
- Analyze Cloud options from vendors and determine which is the most important for the type of Cloud applications you wish to build
- Download and install a virtual system and create a virtual machine
- Create an online Cloud account
Carries 1 semester unit in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) from UC Berkeley Extension, the top public university in the United States
Course Content Outline
- History of Cloud Computing & What is Cloud Computing?
- Why Cloud Computing has become so important now?
- What makes Cloud Computing cost effective?
- What are the additional cost savings and technical complications in making Cloud Computing cost effective?
- Cloud Computing Hands on Exercise
- Open Discussion
- What are the dangers of Cloud Computing?
- What is Virtualization?
- History of Virtualization
- Open Discussion
- Why Virtualization is important to Cloud Computing?
- In class interactive demonstration of how to make a virtual machine (students may follow along on their laptops)
- Cloud Computing Examples Explained: Amazon, Google.
- In class interactive demonstration of how to make an online Cloud account (students may follow along on their laptops)
- What are different types of Cloud Computing?
- How to build a cloud using Agile Computing Methodology?
Who Should Attend
This course is suitable for IT professionals across all levels of the organisation. From Administrators, Programmers, Engineers, IT Managers, System Architects, Corporate Strategists, IT Directors and CIOs, participants from the field of VIrtualization, networking, server and hardware administration are highly encouraged to attend this course.
There are no formal prerequisites for the course. However, it is recommended that partcipants have a general idea of how computers work, in addition to:
a) Knowing how to program in at least one imperative computer language (assembly, C, Java, C++, Fortran, Cobol, etc.)
b) Knowing how to program in a scripting language (Bash shell, PERL, Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.)
c) Being somewhat comfortable with Unix/Linux
d) Having had some exposure to any virtual computing environment (open source or otherwise)
e) Being able to install software as root user or administrator
Subsidised Fees at 50%: $1,710*
Full Fees: $3,210
* Terms and Conditions:
- Course fee is inclusive of GST
- Only Singaporeans and Permanent Residents are eligible for funding
*Union members are eligible for funding assistance from UTAP of up to S$250 per year.
Click here to download brochure